25th April 2008
You may have noticed that most of the SR sites have a shiny new logo in the upper left-hand corner. We had been talking about getting nice logos for years, but the formation of the LLC this past December finally gave us the boost to actually get something done. In fact, when we got together at the Baseball Winter Meetings to sign the documents that offically formed the LLC, we met a graphic designer by the name of John Hartwell. John runs a company named Hartwell Studio Works. He has done a lot of sports-related work, including designing the logo of the Birmingham Barons, a minor league baseball team. We have been extremely impressed with John, not only with the finished product, but also with the professionalism he displayed throughout the process.
Our hope is that these new logos further unify the sites. We want people of to think of our web sites as parts of a whole, not distinct entities, and we believe these logos are an important step in that process. Please feel free to let us know what you think (you're never shy about that, are you?), and as always we thank you for your support of our sites.
Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Classing Up the Joint
15th April 2008
If you can tear yourself away from this site for just a few minutes (it's hard, I know), I would like to invite you to check out the latest addition to the Sports Reference family: Hockey-Reference.com. I have been working on the site for the last two months and I'm very happy with the way things turned out. I wrote a short blog post describing the site and its features. If you have any comments or suggestions, please post them over there. Thanks!
Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on The Debut of Hockey-Reference.com
3rd April 2008
There have been a lot of little changes and additions to the site over the last month, so let me try to summarize them here:
- Added season and career leader boards for each franchise.
- The playoff game logs now date back to the 1993 playoffs. For example, here is the box score for Michael Jordan's 55 point game versus the Suns in the 1993 NBA Finals.
- Playoff game results were added to the league and team pages.
- Added a leader board for each playoff year.
- The Player Game Log Finder and the Player Season Finder output now includes a description of the query you ran. Here's an example. You can also click on "Make Tiny URL" to make a link for your query that is much shorter, allowing you to easily paste the link into e-mail messages, blog posts, etc.
- Added a page for the Comeback Player of the Year award winners to the awards section. (The CPOY was awarded for six seasons in the 1980's.)
- Made a lot of biographical and statistical corrections and additions.
I feel like I have neglected the basketball site somewhat, as I have been working hard on Hockey-Reference.com (the hockey site should go live on April 15). A lot of people have e-mailed me asking about the similarity scores, and I hope to make that one my priorities as soon as the hockey site is finished. As always, please feel free to send me feedback with your questions and concerns.
Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Latest Changes and Additions