George Lawrence Mikan Jr. (Mr. Basketball)
Born: June 18, 1924 in Joliet, Illinois
Died: June 1, 2005
High School: Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary in Chicago, Illinois
College: DePaul University
Hall of Fame: Inducted as Player in 1959 (Full List)
As Player: 439 G, 23.1 PPG, 13.4 RPG, 2.8 APG (Full Record)
As Coach: 1 Yr, 9-30, .231 W-L% (Full Record)
- Los Angeles Lakers: October 5, 1954 to June 19, 1957
Draft Picks, Trades, and Free Agent Signings
In some cases the starting date and/or ending date for
an executive could not be found, so conservative estimates are used in
their place. Therefore, transactions from the beginning and/or end of an
executive's tenure with a particular franchise may be missing from the
Los Angeles Lakers Franchise (October 5, 1954 - June 19, 1957)
- April 13, 1955: Selected Dick Garmaker (1st round, 6th pick) and Chuck Mencel (2nd round, 14th pick) in the 1955 NBA Draft.
- November 28, 1955: Sold Jim Holstein to the Fort Wayne Pistons.
- December 16, 1955: Purchased Johnny Horan from the Fort Wayne Pistons.
- April 30, 1956: Selected Jim Paxson (1st round, 3rd pick), Jerry Bird (3rd round, 19th pick), Phil Jordon (6th round, 43rd pick), John Barber (7th round, 51st pick) and Elgin Baylor (14th round, 91st pick) in the 1956 NBA Draft.
- October 24, 1956: Sold Al Bianchi to the Syracuse Nationals.
- October 26, 1956: Traded Jerry Bird, Phil Jordon and Slater Martin to the New York Knicks for Walter Dukes and Burdette Haldorson.
- April 17, 1957: Selected Jim Krebs (1st round, 3rd pick) and George Brown (4th round, 27th pick) in the 1957 NBA Draft.
- April 17, 1957: Traded Clyde Lovellette and Jim Paxson to the Rochester Royals for Bob Burrow, Ed Fleming, Hot Rod Hundley, Monk Meineke and Art Spoelstra.
- May 14, 1957: Traded Ed Kalafat to the Fort Wayne Pistons for Corky Devlin.