- Dallas Mavericks: May 16, 1996 to October 17, 1996
Draft Picks, Trades, and Free Agent Signings
In some cases the starting date and/or ending date for
an executive could not be found, so conservative estimates are used in
their place. Therefore, transactions from the beginning and/or end of an
executive's tenure with a particular franchise may be missing from the
Dallas Mavericks Franchise (May 16, 1996 - October 17, 1996)
- May 31, 1996: Hired Jim Cleamons as Head Coach.
- June 21, 1996: Traded a 1996 1st round draft pick (Antoine Walker was later selected) and a 1997 1st round draft pick (Ron Mercer was later selected) to the Boston Celtics for Eric Montross and a 1996 1st round draft pick (Samaki Walker was later selected).
- June 26, 1996: Selected Samaki Walker (1st round, 9th pick) in the 1996 NBA Draft.
- June 29, 1996: Traded Cherokee Parks to the Minnesota Timberwolves. Minnesota removed the 2nd overall draft pick through 6th overall draft pick protection on the 1st round draft pick obtained for Sean Rooks on November 1, 1994; the draft pick was changed to either 1997 (unless it was the 1st draft pick overall) or 1998.
- July 16, 1996: Signed Chris Gatling as a free agent.
- July 23, 1996: Traded Popeye Jones and a 1997 1st round draft pick (John Thomas was later selected) to the Toronto Raptors for Jimmy King, a 1998 2nd round draft pick (Ansu Sesay was later selected) and a 1999 2nd round draft pick (Gordan Giricek was later selected). Toronto had the option to swap 1st round draft picks with Dallas in 1997 (a draft pick owned by Dallas that was originally owned by Minnesota) but did not do so.
- July 26, 1996: Signed Derek Harper as a free agent.
- September 30, 1996: Signed Greg Dreiling as a free agent.
- October 1, 1996: Signed Erick Strickland as a free agent.
- October 4, 1996: Signed Fred Roberts as a free agent.
- October 17, 1996: Signed Oliver Miller as a free agent.