21st November 2011
Basketball-Reference.com » Sports Reference
We are moving all of our site and company news into a single blog for Sports Reference. We'll tag all Basketball-Reference content, so you can quickly and easily find the content you want.
Also, our existing Basketball-Reference blog rss feed will be redirected to the new site's feed, so you won't need to change a thing on your end.
Posted in Announcements | 1 Comment »
1st November 2011
By now, you've probably seen Sean's post about the BBR Blog (if not, go read it first)... We had a great run here (going back to the start of the 2008-09 season), and while it's unfortunate that we have to shut the blog down, I'm really proud of the work we did over the past 3 seasons.
So, in that spirit, I'd like to say thanks and give you some final stats about the blog:
Read the rest of this entry »
Posted in Announcements | 22 Comments »
1st November 2011
One of the tough parts of running a business is deciding when to put more effort into something and when to not. We know we've been pretty silent here since the end of the season, and after a lot of internal debate, we've decided to stop posting editorial content on the BBR blog.
This obviously has nothing to do with the quality of the content produced by lead writer, Neil Paine. His posts were phenomenal, and I know many readers looked forward to them every week. A big thanks to Neil for making this such a vital place for basketball discussion and analysis. As a small company, focus is vital for our success, and we are choosing to focus our energy on pumping out as much statistical basketball data as possible and that means cutting back in other areas.
None of the existing content is going to go away. We'll keep it up here for as long as the site is open (which we intend to be a very long time). If you would like to contact Neil, he's available at [email protected].
Thank you most of all for your patronage.
Posted in Announcements | 27 Comments »
14th October 2011
Unlike the NBA, the Basketball-Reference.com programming staff (that would be me) does not want to lock out its fans. In light of that, let me describe some new features that were added to the site this week:
- You may have noticed that the player pages once again have similarity scores tables. Please read the description of the method for full details.
- On the Player Season Finder, you can now filter your results based on whether or not the player was an All-Star game selection (single season queries) or the number of All-Star game selection for the player (combined season queries). There is also a more flexible way to filter by position. Previously, you only had four options: any, guard, forward, or center. Now, you can select any combination of these. For example, you can restrict your results to players who are listed as either a "G-F" or "F-G" in the database.
- On the Player Game Finder, you can now search for cumulative totals. For example, you can search for the player with the most points scored in the first ten games of the 2010-11 season. You can also choose to combine regular season and playoff games in your search (previously you had to choose one or the other). There is also a new way to filter by position that is the same as the one described above.
I hope you enjoy these new features, and as always, please let us know if you find any bugs.
Posted in Announcements | 14 Comments »
19th September 2011
User Survey - Sports-Reference.com
In an effort to better serve our users, we've posted a feedback form on our overall company site, http://www.sports-reference.com.
In addition to your feedback, we are looking for a couple dozen volunteers to sign on for occasional, additional surveys and perhaps some early beta testing of new features. We are calling these volunteer groups Sports Reference User Boards. You can still give us feedback without having an interest in being on a user board.
Thank you, as always, for your support and feedback.
Posted in Announcements | 8 Comments »
26th August 2011
This is just a quick post to let you know that I have added a Trade Partners script to the Frivolities section of the site. Simply select two franchises from the search form and you can see:
- all of the trades between the two franchises;
- the statistics for each player on their "old" and "new" teams; and
- a summary of the number of Win Shares coming and going in the deal.
I hope you enjoy this new feature, and as always please contact us should you have any comments or questions.
Posted in Announcements | 11 Comments »
10th June 2011
This is just a short post to announce a couple of minor additions to the site:
- I added an option to the Player Season Finder to search for total seasons matching criteria. This option will allow you to find out who had the most seasons with 2000 or more points in NBA history, who had the most seasons with 10 or more Win Shares in NBA history, and so on.
- Speaking of Win Shares, I have finally extended them back to the 1946-47 BAA season (i.e., the first season of what is now known as the NBA). Previously they had only gone back to the 1951-52 season because that was the first season that minutes played were an official statistic. As one might expect, George Mikan dominates this five-year period.
Posted in Announcements, Play Index, Win Shares | 14 Comments »
9th May 2011
Thanks to assists from Neil Paine and Robert Bradley, late this afternoon I added a new section to the site:
NBA & ABA Executives Directory | Basketball-Reference.com
Only the executives in charge of player personnel decisions (usually the general manager) are listed. In some cases these executives were easy to identify while in others they weren't, so if you have any suggested changes please let me know. Please note that your changes will only be considered if you include appropriate documentation.
I also added executive pages for each franchise. In some cases I was not able to find the exact starting date and/or ending date for an executive, so if you can help fill in the blanks please drop me a line, once again with appropriate documentation.
Finally, you may have noticed some changes to the "Quick Index" (QI) at the top of each page. There were some neat sections of this site that I felt were being buried because there wasn't enough room on the QI, so I added a "more" tab to allow easy access to these areas. Please note that some of the links that used to appear on the QI now fall under this tab.
Posted in Announcements | 1 Comment »
4th May 2011
Basketball StatHead: May 4, 2011
Today's Stathead entries include links to TrueHoop, John Hollinger, and the Wall Street Journal's Daily Fix.
Posted in Announcements, Layups, StatHead | Comments Off on Basketball StatHead: May 4, 2011
3rd May 2011
Basketball StatHead: May 3, 2011
Today's Stathead entries feature research from Back Picks, ESPN's Stats & Info, and a new edition of JQAS.
Posted in Announcements, Layups, StatHead | Comments Off on Basketball StatHead: May 3, 2011